To Be Thankful


                                                         
A strong smell of onions and hamburger came from the kitchen as I sat snuggled in a recliner by the fire.  “Chop, chop” went the sound of knife upon cutting board and her blonde head bent to the task.  She tossed the meat around and went back to her teary eyed work.

Looking out the window, orange caught my attention.  As previous years had told there was always deep red involved but this year orange was spread on every tree like one big stroke of paint.  The ground was covered with it and rain fell with unceasing determination.  Everything was bright with color.  I shivered and clung closer to my blanket.  It felt nice to be inside with cold winds shaking the trees outside my window.

Her slender frame attired in cozy, sweats and a gray hoody, attentively stood over the sizzling pan.  Remembering something she left the room, returning in a cheery, yellow apron.  Always there, my friend and adviser, always hard working, my lovely step mum graced the kitchen she did.

I pressed my feet further down into my fleece lined slippers and stretched them towards the warm wood stove.  Though the fall air would cause my to wheeze and sniffle if I dared inter the out of doors I was glad for the beauty that extended from one window to the next and for the beauty of everyday living. 

-Grace Kathleen Ramsey

Comments

  1. What a beautiful soul you are, Grace Ramsey. I love you more than ALL the colors of fall. :) See you soon, darling!!!

    p.s. Where did this beautiful gift of painting pictures with words come from?? You are amazing!! But I already knew that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is quite lovely. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely picture, Grace. Hope all of you guys had a great Thanksgiving. Sorry I missed you last time I was in Winnsboro. Keep writing, you have a good gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace, this put a smile to my face! :) It reminds me to be thankful for the little things! I hope you and your family are doing well! Clara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Clara thank you! It's good to here from you. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts