The Day of Family and Furry Friends

My older sister, who is going to college in Nacogdoches for creative writing, is teaching me correct writing skills.  As my writing teacher, at the beginning of the week she gives me the assignment through Skype, I then write it, we Skype again so she can correct it, and then I can post it.  

Here is a little story I wrote as my first assignment.
                              
                              - - - - - - - - - -
Sarah Anne, her eyes focused on the video camera's screen, her hands holding the mechanic steady, stood at the frosty window.  Her gaze, for a second, shot through the window and down to the icy pond.  She thumbed the zoom slider and took a closer look at the animal swimming in the water below.

The animal, his elongated body and dense fur matted down by the weight of the cold water, was untroubled by the ceaseless falling snow.  A head popped from the water and an otter's face looked up at Sarah Anne.

The family crowded around the tall, farmhouse windows.  They had never seen an otter taking advantage of their remote farm, or the small pond behind the house.  Their excited eyes glittered and their warm breath clung to the chilly glass.

Everywhere, snow, cozy and white, lay on the trees and the grass, and a pancake-y smell hung in the house.  I like to call it "The Day of Family and Furry Friends."

-Grace Kathleen

Comments

  1. This makes me smile. I love the part about the pancake-y smell in the house. :) Keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts